In approaching the end of a term as Dean of the Faculty of Arts at Carleton University, Ottawa, the owner, A. T. “Trevor” Tolley (1927-2018) embarked on a quest to find a quiet summer cottage to spend the immediately upcoming two years in retirement as Dean. This sabbatical was to devote time to his writings on a book already in progress which was eventually published as Poetry of the Forties by McGill-Queen’s Press (MQUP). Several properties were viewed and each failed to appeal. A dinner invitation from the then owner, who was a former student, along with an overnight stay, resulted in an offer to purchase the property when the host mentioned an intention to sell.
Before that dinner date, Trevor had never seen the property, and there was not much time to view it prior to the lavish dinner. However, awakening in the morning afterwards, with the sun on the rise, the property was seen in all its glory and magnificence. It seemed vast, totally isolated and pristine; no other building was visible, absolutely no neighbours were evident, and the sunrise reflection on the adjacent creek just added to its allure. It seemed perfect and well suited to his writing. He made an offer – one eagerly accepted. So the property was acquired in 1973; and residency took-place in July 1974, one week after marriage to his second wife, Glenda. They have resided on the property consecutively ever since.
Garden visits are by appointment only. Hours: 11 am to 5 pm. June 1st to September 30th. Admission is Free!
13075 County Road 18Williamsburg, OntarioK0C 2H0
Complete the form below to send us a message or inquire about a Tour!
All Garden visits are by appointment only. Hours: 11 am to 5 pm. June 1st to September 30th. Admission is Free!